- Quick Summary Former President Donald Trump recently received a target letter from special counsel Jack Smith, indicating that he is likely to be indicted in the criminal investigation related to his actions leading up to the storming of the Capitol on January 6, 2021. This follows an earlier target letter sent to Trump by Smith in June, concerning a separate investigation into Trump’s handling of national defense material after leaving office. The new target letter focuses on the events leading up to the Capitol attack, and Trump’s efforts to retain power after losing the 2020 election.
- Trump receives target letter from special counsel in Capitol Attack investigation.
- Second time Smith has notified Trump of likely indictment.
- First target letter in June related to separate investigation on national defense material.
Trump Receives Target Letter Former President Donald Trump confirmed on Tuesday that he recently received a target letter from special counsel Jack Smith regarding the criminal investigation into his efforts to retain power after losing the 2020 election. The letter is a sign that Trump is likely to be indicted in the case. This is the second time Smith has notified Trump that he is a target in a federal investigation, with the first notification occurring in June.
Trump’s Response and Uncertainty In response to the target letter, Trump took to his social media platform, Truth Social, and referred to special counsel Jack Smith as “Deranged Jack Smith.” Trump expressed his frustration with the letter, mentioning the short notice and the implication that an arrest and indictment may follow. However, it remains unclear which specific aspect of Smith’s investigation into the efforts to obstruct the transfer of power Trump may be indicted for.
Developing Story This is a developing story, and more information is expected to emerge as the investigation progresses. Updates will be provided as new details become available.
See more information at the sources below.
- ABC News: Trump Receives Target Letter in Connection with Capitol Attack Investigation
- The New York Times: Trump Says He’s a Target in Special Counsel’s Capitol Attack Investigation