- Kimberly Guilfoyle, a fundraiser for former President Donald Trump, received a $60,000 speaking fee for her brief appearance at the rally on January 6, 2021, just before the Capitol riot.
- The payment was sponsored by Julie Fancelli, an heiress to the Publix supermarkets fortune, and made by Turning Point Action, a conservative nonprofit led by Charlie Kirk.
- Fancelli donated a total of $650,000 to organizations involved in organizing the rally, including $150,000 to the nonprofit arm of the Republican Attorneys General Association.
- The investigation into the January 6 events is shedding light on the extensive planning and funding behind the rally.
Who Footed the Bill? Unveiling the Financial Backers of the Rally
“Money is the lifeblood of political movements, and the rally on January 6, 2021, was no exception,” says Zoe Lofgren, a Democrat from California, during a House committee investigation. The monetary transactions that occurred behind the scenes are beginning to emerge, with prominent figures like Kimberly Guilfoyle and Julie Fancelli in the spotlight.
Guilfoyle, a well-known figure in Trump’s circle, pocketed a substantial $60,000 for a less than three-minute speech at the rally. The source of this fee traces back to Turning Point Action, a conservative nonprofit helmed by activist Charlie Kirk. The payment was bankrolled by Julie Fancelli, the heiress to the Publix grocery store chain.
Unpacking the Organizational Efforts
“There’s no doubt that the efforts to organize the rally were elaborate and multifaceted,” noted Rep. Lofgren during the investigation. Several organizations, including Turning Point Action and Women for America First, worked in unison to promote the event.
Among the key players was Turning Point Action, led by Charlie Kirk, a vocal advocate of Trump’s claims about election fraud. The group’s involvement ranged from providing bus transportation for supporters to advertising the rally on their platform. Despite their active engagement, the group has maintained silence over these revelations.
Financial Contributions and their Implications
In the broader scope of political donations, Julie Fancelli stands out with her significant contributions to the Republican party during Trump’s tenure. She funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars towards GOP candidates and party organizations. This lavish spending included a staggering $650,000 to several organizations involved in the rally, as well as $150,000 to the Republican Attorneys General Association’s nonprofit arm.
Fancelli’s enthusiasm for Infowars founder Alex Jones is reported to have influenced her support for the rally. “Donors like Fancelli, with their considerable contributions, have an outsized influence on political events,” noted Lofgren in the investigation.
For additional reading:
- The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/06/14/kimberly-guilfoyle-turning-point-action-jan-6/